[A51] Osmocom options and workflow

Karsten Nohl nohl at virginia.edu
Fri Aug 31 08:07:32 CEST 2012

Hello,

On Aug 31, 2012, at 7:23 , Bhaskar11 wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> If I understand right, earlier the workflow used to be:
>     USRP -> GNURadio ->Airprobe (Parse) -> Kraken -> Airprobe (decode)
>
> Now the workflow is:
>     MotorolaC1xx -> OsmocomBB -> Airprobe (Parse) -> Kraken -> Airprobe (decode)

Osmocom can do everything that Airprobe does, so Airprobe is not needed anymore.

> Can you please confirm or correct.
>
> I've read the Osmocom/Sysmocom documentation, but could not figure out what is the best phone option on Sysmocom shop for my use:
>     Do I need the Motorola C1xx with filter rework?

Not necessarily. Filter removed helps you sniff the uplink communication from a larger distance. Downlink is much more interesting for the beginning, though.

>     Do I need C1xx with Calypso chipset?

All Osmocom-capable phones, incl. C1xx, are built around a Calpso chip.