[A51] New A5/1 attack patented

javier falbo javier_falbo at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 05:00:40 CET 2012

Yes, from what i could read, we could use it to prevent the frequency hopping efect (or decode the stream and also change the frequency remote) and track the conversation even after hoping. A5/2 trick is old, that by forcing a 3G phone to move to GSM.Solution: Put on your phone do not authorize DUAL MODE, just fix it on 3G. I think what the article try to focus is on this "new" man in the middle attach, that with a normal PC you could take the key in 1 second.Which is maybe similar as the IMSI catchers or creating a fake cell. Nowadays i am working to implement this on any android device with a special python script and custom rom :)Android is open source. Regards.