[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Nikos Balkanas nbalkanas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 11:36:12 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Amber and Sarosh
<amber_sarosh at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
> Can anyone please guide if GPUs are necessary for rainbow table lookup
> using kraken to find the key to decipher an intercepted communication or is
> it possible to do this using just CPUs? In case the later is possible how
> much time it will take approximately?

GPUs are not necessary, just desirable. If GPUs are missing, kraken will
still work with A5Cpu.so, but it will be somewhat slower. Assuming that
during cracking your PC is CPU limited, the benefit should scale roughly
with your setup ratio of GPU power/CPU power. In reality you will run into
RAM and table I/O bottlenecks before that. In short it is highly depended
on your setup ;-)

The idea is, that the easier factor to improve is the CPU, so why not do it?

Nikos