[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Joel Eriksson joel.eriksson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:51:55 CET 2014

It will be _a lot_ slower. If you want to have any chance of intercepting
frequency hopping calls (without having receivers constantly recording
everything at each of the possible frequencies) you need to use GPUs and
SSDs. If you don't have to deal with frequency hopping, and don't have to
decipher in near real-time, it doesn't matter as much.

Regards,
Joel

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Amber and Sarosh <
> amber_sarosh at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> Can anyone please guide if GPUs are necessary for rainbow table lookup
>> using kraken to find the key to decipher an intercepted communication or is
>> it possible to do this using just CPUs? In case the later is possible how
>> much time it will take approximately?
>>

> GPUs are not necessary, just desirable. If GPUs are missing, kraken will
> still work with A5Cpu.so, but it will be somewhat slower. Assuming that
> during cracking your PC is CPU limited, the benefit should scale roughly
> with your setup ratio of GPU power/CPU power. In reality you will run into
> RAM and table I/O bottlenecks before that. In short it is highly depended
> on your setup ;-)
>
> The idea is, that the easier factor to improve is the CPU, so why not do
> it?
>
> Nikos
>
>> Regards,
>> Naheed, Amber & Sarosh