[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Nikos Balkanas nbalkanas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:54:14 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Karsten Nohl <nohl at srlabs.de> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2014, at 7:08 , Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Sascha Krissler <sascha at srlabs.de>
> wrote:
> > AMD GPUs based on the GCN architecture are not supported by kraken.
> > TBH i already forgot the exact reason why that is, but AFAIR the
> > CAL api is simply not supported anymore.
> > GCN still supports AMD IL, but you need to use the opencl api and
> > the IL code must be adapted.
> > [...snip...]
> > to be clear once more: GCN GPUs are not compatible with kraken. to the
> best
> >  of my knowledge that limits you to second hand hardware.
> >
> > All the more reason to update Kraken's ilx library. Not only it will be
> easier
> > to find current boards, but they will be more powerful as well.
>
> Happy to integrate any contributions from the community. However, afaict
> there was a single contributor (kraken-win32) in the four years the code
> has been stable ...

I plan to do it for myself. I code in C, though, not C++. I can submit it
to you, but it is up to you to accept it or not.
Besides, have to wait from AMD to support my Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 coming
up. I am also interested in their new PVA
(crossfire) architecture.

> > Furthermore, legacy boards require OS's well past their EOL for their
> drivers, and
> > legacy hardware and PCs that these outdated OS can support.
>
> > Without updates kraken is doomed to a slow death of obsolescence :-(
>
> We were hoping it would be doomed anyway by all networks upgrading to A5/3
> :-)
>

> Hold on a minute. Kraken is not limited to A51 code. Are you saying that
the rainbow tables are built with A51 encryption in them?
If that is the case, there is a project openrainbow tables, that maintains
them and maybe takes care of it.

Nikos