[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Joel Eriksson joel.eriksson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:08:09 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Karsten Nohl <nohl at srlabs.de> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 27, 2014, at 7:08 , Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > All the more reason to update Kraken's ilx library. Not only it will be
>> easier
>> > to find current boards, but they will be more powerful as well.
>>
>> Happy to integrate any contributions from the community. However, afaict
>> there was a single contributor (kraken-win32) in the four years the code
>> has been stable ...
>>

> I plan to do it for myself. I code in C, though, not C++. I can submit it
> to you, but it is up to you to accept it or not.
> Besides, have to wait from AMD to support my Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 coming
> up. I am also interested in their new PVA
> (crossfire) architecture.

It is the AMD IL code that needs to be updated, to GCN assembly .. It would
be possible to code it in OpenCL as well, but the whole point with coding
it in AMD IL to begin with was to make use of certain instructions to make
it more efficient. OpenCL code would most likely have a significantly lower
performance (but would obviously be better than nothing). The C++ wrappers
around may need to be modified slightly as well, but that change is trivial.

> > Without updates kraken is doomed to a slow death of obsolescence :-(
>>
>> We were hoping it would be doomed anyway by all networks upgrading to
>> A5/3 :-)
>>

>> Hold on a minute. Kraken is not limited to A51 code. Are you saying that
> the rainbow tables are built with A51 encryption in them?
> If that is the case, there is a project openrainbow tables, that maintains
> them and maybe takes care of it.

Yes, Kraken is limited to A5/1. What made you think otherwise?

> Nikos

Cheers,
Joel Eriksson