[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Nikos Balkanas nbalkanas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:00:02 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Joel Eriksson <joel.eriksson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> be easier
>>>
>>> Happy to integrate any contributions from the community. However, afaict
>>> there was a single contributor (kraken-win32) in the four years the code
>>> has been stable ...
>>>

>> I plan to do it for myself. I code in C, though, not C++. I can submit it
>> to you, but it is up to you to accept it or not.
>> Besides, have to wait from AMD to support my Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 coming
>> up. I am also interested in their new PVA
>> (crossfire) architecture.
>>

> It is the AMD IL code that needs to be updated, to GCN assembly .. It
> would be possible to code it in OpenCL as well, but the whole point with
> coding it in AMD IL to begin with was to make use of certain instructions
> to make it more efficient. OpenCL code would most likely have a
> significantly lower performance (but would obviously be better than
> nothing). The C++ wrappers around may need to be modified slightly as well,
> but that change is trivial.

They will have to. Ubuntu 13.04 is EOL and 12.04 will be in 3 weeks, when
the new 14.04 comes out. They told me that right know they support only
Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04. That's after
they crashed my X-server and trashed my installation with their latest
catalyst :-(

>> > Without updates kraken is doomed to a slow death of obsolescence :-(
>>>
>>> We were hoping it would be doomed anyway by all networks upgrading to
>>> A5/3 :-)
>>>

>>> Hold on a minute. Kraken is not limited to A51 code. Are you saying that
>> the rainbow tables are built with A51 encryption in them?
>> If that is the case, there is a project openrainbow tables, that
>> maintains them and maybe takes care of it.
>>

> Yes, Kraken is limited to A5/1. What made you think otherwise?

Several comments by hackers around the web, saying that it could be used
to crack 3G & 4G networks. Didn't answer my question though ;-)
Kraken is a general rainbow table matcher. It is the source Rainbow tables
that determine the context. If there are A5.3 tables, kraken can work
with A5.3. Right? I haven't seen any A5.1 code in Kraken.

BTW the project I was referring to is called Distributed Rainbow tables,
not Open.