[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Nikos Balkanas nbalkanas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:46:56 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Joel Eriksson <joel.eriksson at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Joel Eriksson <joel.eriksson at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> It is the AMD IL code that needs to be updated, to GCN assembly .. It
>>> would be possible to code it in OpenCL as well, but the whole point with
>>> coding it in AMD IL to begin with was to make use of certain instructions
>>> to make it more efficient. OpenCL code would most likely have a
>>> significantly lower performance (but would obviously be better than
>>> nothing). The C++ wrappers around may need to be modified slightly as well,
>>> but that change is trivial.
>>>

>> They will have to. Ubuntu 13.04 is EOL and 12.04 will be in 3 weeks, when
>> the new 14.04 comes out. They told me that right know they support only
>> Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04. That's after
>> they crashed my X-server and trashed my installation with their latest
>> catalyst :-(
>>

> Huh? They will have to what? Ubuntu versions and life spans has absolutely
> nothing to do with this.

Actually it does. Ubuntu is the largest Linux distro. They claim to
support it, so they 'll have to either follow or drop it.

>>  Hold on a minute. Kraken is not limited to A51 code. Are you saying
>>>>

>>> Yes, Kraken is limited to A5/1. What made you think otherwise?
>>>

>> Several comments by hackers around the web, saying that it could be used
>> to crack 3G & 4G networks. Didn't answer my question though ;-)
>> Kraken is a general rainbow table matcher. It is the source Rainbow
>> tables that determine the context. If there are A5.3 tables, kraken can work
>> with A5.3. Right? I haven't seen any A5.1 code in Kraken.
>>
>> BTW the project I was referring to is called Distributed Rainbow tables,
>> not Open.
>>

> No, Kraken is far from a "general rainbow table matcher". The tables used
> by Kraken are not even rainbow tables, it is an application specific TMTO
> (time-memory-trade-off) combining rainbow tables and distinguished points
> to efficiently attack A5/1. If you haven't seen any A5/1 code in Kraken,
> you have not looked close enough.

Just double checked for airprobe's code in kraken-win32. Couldn't find
anything. But you know better kraken than me, so I am taking your word for
it. In light of that, I don't see any benefit in investing more time in it
:-(

Best of luck,
Nikos