[A51] Query - Use of Kraken with CPUs

Joel Eriksson joel.eriksson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:42:44 CET 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Nikos Balkanas <nbalkanas at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> They will have to. Ubuntu 13.04 is EOL and 12.04 will be in 3 weeks,
>>> when the new 14.04 comes out. They told me that right know they support
>>> only Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04. That's after
>>> they crashed my X-server and trashed my installation with their latest
>>> catalyst :-(
>>>

>> Huh? They will have to what? Ubuntu versions and life spans has
>> absolutely nothing to do with this.
>>

> Actually it does. Ubuntu is the largest Linux distro. They claim to
> support it, so they 'll have to either follow or drop it.

Judging from your reply I can deduce that "They will have to" was referring
to Ubuntu support for the AMD drivers. That did not have anything to do
with what I wrote though, and nothing to do with Kraken in general, and it
seems like you still don't understand what this is about. The old AMD IL
code can not be used with the GCN cards, on _any_ platform, so to use
Kraken with GCN cards (7xxx+) you would need to port it to either GCN
assembly or to OpenCL code, and make some slight changes in the Kraken C++
code to be able to use it.

Cheers,
Joel Eriksson
ClevCode