[Gsmmap] Android Project

Karsten Nohl nohl at virginia.edu
Tue Aug 21 11:11:28 CEST 2012

Dear Javier,

On Aug 20, 2012, at 21:32 , javier falbo wrote:

> I would like to contribute to the project.
> I am actually working on :
> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1422969
>
> Using android device to capture packets and send them to Kraken Tool.

Extracting encrypted data from the base band that the phone has no key for may be hard. I would imagine that any standard base band simply discards such data. The Osmocom firmware specifically reprograms the chip not to do that. Same goes for tuning the base band to a frequency it was not assigned to use.

However, an Android phone may be able to collect information about its own transactions. These would already disclose many of the security parameters tracked on gsmmap.org. Did you find a way to extract GSM frames from the baseband?

@Felipe: This may be a question for you.