[Gsmmap] Question on correct interpretation of pie-graph

Karsten Nohl nohl at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 2 15:43:52 CET 2012

Dear Bart,

On Jan 2, 2012, at 13:59 , Bart Stuut wrote:
> A quick question on the pie-charts that are used on gsmmap.org: What
> is the correct interpretation of these?

"Fully green" means: All countermeasures we have seen implemented in 2011 are available on a given network.
As you can see, no network currently implements all measures but a few get close.

> I can imagine that the green indicates the number of times (or better
> %) an attack would not be possible, and the red indicates the number
> of times an attack would be possible, but would like to know for
> certain how to interpret them as intended ;-)

Fewer countermeasures allow for easier attacks; however the success probability of an attack largely depends on the attacker's equipment. Currently, all networks can be attacked with elaborate tools, but some networks resist the tools available on the Internet.