[Gsmmap] Question on correct interpretation of pie-graph

Bart Stuut bart.stuut at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 16:41:54 CET 2012

Hi Karsten,

First of all thanks for the fast reply.

Sorry to pester you with follow up question ... I would not be
surprised if you have better things to do ;-)

>> A quick question on the pie-charts that are used on gsmmap.org: What
>> is the correct interpretation of these?
>
> "Fully green" means: All countermeasures we have seen implemented in 2011 are available on a given network.
> As you can see, no network currently implements all measures but a few get close.

Maybe I should rephrase the question using an example;

If we take an Intercept pie-chart with an estimate of 47% green and
53% red, is the right interpretation then that the 47% of the analyzed
instances comply with the reference network as mentioned on slide 12
of the 28c3 presentation (i.e. use padding randomization), and that
53% of those instances did not comply?

Or another example, Impersonation pie-chart of 25% green / 75% red
means that 25% of analyzed instances are using A5/1 *and* 100%
Authentication, and 75% of instances were shown to use either A5/1
*or* 100% Authentication.

Again many thanks and best regards,

Bart