[Gsmmap] gsmmap.org update logic?

Karsten Nohl nohl at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 15 20:06:26 CEST 2012

Dear Vadzim,

On Oct 15, 2012, at 15:21 , Vadzim Loseu wrote:

> Hey,
>
> 1. What exactly is the meaning of the question mark without a circle
> diagram next to the name of an operator on the map? Does that stand for
> "not enough data" or is that something different? Anyway, does that mean
> I should collect more data and re-send it to have it updated on the map?

Exactly -- the question marks indicate too few samples to make a decision in that category for that operator.
Please keep collecting data in this case.

> 2. Am I right in assuming that whenever you receive new data for a
> particular operator, you overwrite the old diagram even if it used to be
> a real circle (enough data) and now it's just a question mark (not
> enough data)? I am not sure now, but I think that's what happened to my
> previous submission.

New samples are combined with old samples to create a better risk measurement. Once a certain (high) number of samples is reached, the oldest ones are dropped from the metric to allow networks to improve over time.