[Gsmmap] How is input data used for the monthly report?

Karsten Nohl nohl at srlabs.de
Sat Jan 25 15:39:38 CET 2014

Dear Oliver,

The lack of A5/3 support in many handsets is exactly why operators should still implement A5/1 improvement measures such as randomization. These will be needed for years to come, imho. Telekom Germany, as an example, had one type of randomization activated for several years (good!), but then apparently switched it off. (Maybe because of an incompatibility with the A5/3 feature?)

To expose such scenarios, we are counting how well phone calls are protected, not how well they could be protected if everybody always used the latest BlackBerry :-)

Hope this makes sense.