[Gsmmap] Authentication timeouts

Markus Hofer markus.hofer1 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 01:29:01 CEST 2014

The GSM security country reports state, that the authentication
timeout can be as much as 24 seconds according to GSM standards.

In the current version of TS 24.008 (section 11.2) the value for the
timer T3260 is set to 12 seconds.
Older versions of this specification show 5 seconds for the timer value.
I am curious, where did you get that 24 seconds from?

I realize that the timers may be set to various values in the deployed
base stations. The report states, that it lacks reliable data on
authentication times.
Is there any (modified) version of the OsmocomBB mobile application
(or patch), which is able to measure this behavior?

Regards,
Markus