[Gsmmap] SnoopSnitch on Nexus 4/mako with Android 5

Alexander Senier alex at srlabs.de
Thu Apr 30 00:59:28 CEST 2015

Hi Philippe,

On Fr, 2015-04-24 at 20:08 +0200, Philippe Latulippe wrote:
> I noticed that since lollipop, the device-specific init script
> (init.mako.rc) has a line in it that deletes /dev/diag. I repackaged
> the
> boot image with that line commented out and now my Nexus 4 has a diag
> device. It seems to be working in some manner too, as diag_mdlog
> managed
> to read data from it and write it to log files.

Interesting! What does a

$ grep dia /proc/devices

output on your device?

(On my S5 I see:
244 dia
251 media
)

If you find a respective 'dia' entry in /proc/devices this generally is
a sign that the device driver for Qualcomm DIAG is present in your
kernel. If so, it should be sufficient to recreate that device node on
the device without the need for repackaging anything (something like
'mknod /dev/diag c 244 0' in my case). There may be no mknod binary in
your ROM, though.

> However, when I tried the active test, it told me "no baseband
> messages
> received during active test." Is there any way I can diagnose this
> without diving too deep in snoopsnitch code (or the diag driver's
> code)?
> Is it still worth uploading debug logs? Or maybe there's some debugfs
> file that would give a hint?

The 'no baseband' issue is unrelated to the availability of the driver.
Several people reported that and it seems to happen on devices that
others reported to function correctly. One known situation where this
error occurs is when you're on a CDMA network, which is unsupported by
SnoopSnitch right now. Which networks/network modes are you using?

Uploading the logs makes no sense, as there are no logs when we receive
no baseband messages.

Cheers,
Alex

--