[Gsmmap] Silent SMS recorded. What now?

oliver.ast at telekom.de oliver.ast at telekom.de
Mon Mar 2 23:24:54 CET 2015

Hi Quel,

one typical example for such a behavior is indeed the roaming scenario.

On most of the SIM cards used today there are fields defining preferred networks. The operator controlled PLMN list (OPLMN) is maintained and typically also updated by the home network operator over the air (OTA). This happens usually whenever you enter a new country. That way the operators can direct the devices to first try connecting to preferred partner networks in these countries. Even still today this information is typically send via binary SMSs directly to the SIM cards (invisible to the user). Theoretically it could be done as well via BIP (Bearer Independent Protocol) over a normal data connection but this is often not supported by legacy SIM cards. Depending on the size of the PLMN list that is being updated you may receive a different number of SMSs. In my scenario with Telekom Deutschland I always get 4 SMS that are then becoming visible in SnoopSnitch (verified recently three days in a row on the airports after landing when visiting different countries).

Most likely you experienced the same when travelling around and crossing borders :)

BR

                Oliver