[Gsmmap] Is it able to measure the distance between IMSI catcher and Android phone?

Karsten Nohl nohl at srlabs.de
Thu Jul 21 16:00:04 CEST 2016

Dear Roger,

On Jul 20, 2016, at 16:26, Roger Yan <rogerofyan at gmail.com<mailto:rogerofyan at gmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks Karsten.
Assuming there are several phones connected with a fake base station, and I got the signal quality and gps of each phones. Is it able to locate the fake base station or at least an small area of the station?

Once you identified a catcher, you can probably triangulate it (possibly with existing tools such as directed antennas).

I found there is a feature in AIMSICD that it displays stations on the map. I'm cursious that how it could know the location of stations

I don’t think it knows where the catcher is. It only knows where you are when you see the catcher.

Thanks!

Roger Yan

2016年7月20日 下午9:42,"Karsten Nohl" <nohl at srlabs.de<mailto:nohl at srlabs.de>>写道:
Dear Roger,

Currently there is no such indication. The signal quality, which is available from the baseband data SnoopSnitch is analyzing, may act as a heuristic for distance; but only if you already know the send parameters (power, antenna, …) of the IMSI catcher.