[Simsec] USIM prevalence on GSMmap

Karsten Nohl nohl at srlabs.de
Fri Mar 20 20:13:51 CET 2015

Dear SIM security list,

Just a quick note that we started tracking the prevalence of USIMs around the world on GSMmap [1]. We feel this is an important security metric given that state agencies can now break the 64-bit keys that older SIM cards produce to encrypt 3G connections [2].

If no data is available for your networks of interest, please contribute data through SnoopSnitch [3], an app for many Android phones. Aside from contributing data to GSMmap, the app also displays whether you are using a USIM under 'Network Info'.

Thanks much,

     -Karsten

[1] https://gsmmap.org/
[2] https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/04/nsa-auroragold-hack-cellphones/